Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Biennale Of Sydney

The 17th Biennale Of Sydney opened last week and I was able to spend an afternoon at the MCA taking in some art. It was a lot to squeeze in a few hours so I'll definitely return for another visit as well as check out the other venues (I'm looking forward to taking a trip out to Cockatoo Island and seeing Cai Guo-Qiang's installation).

One artist that stood out to me was Fred Tomaselli, the first time I had seen his work was actually on the cover of The Magnetic Fields' "I" album. Up close and in person his work is so amazingly detailed and vivid.  His technique of suspending elements in resin makes it a hypnotic experience when you stand in front of his large scale paintings.

Detail from the cover of The Magnetic Fields' "I" album.
Gravity in Four Directions, by Fred Tomaselli. 

No comments: